I take refuge in sarcasm and causticity (if that is a word!), it is the one constant in my life and something that can be called upon in any circumstance good or bad and it will never let me down. It is my sanctuary. More so because my options for coping are limited - laugh like a moron, cry like an idiot or lace everything in sarcasm to the point where everything only elicits a callous, non-committal and non-caring reaction.
Some things I have come to realise from last year's events:
1. Caring unconditionally for anyone/thing will only lead to heartache, headache and muscular fatigue.
2. When you have to literally pick up your flatmate's dirty linen you should rethink the whole 'end of lease clean up', listen to good advice and torch the place.
3. No two people are compatible - the making of relationships is a fundamentally flawed process and the only way two people can live under one roof (and emit a sense of harmony and well-being to the outside world) is through total dominance and/or subservience.
Compromise is a myth as is compatibility.
4. If you have children under the age of 3 please have the good sense not to travel half the world (on an aircraft) with them till they are old enough to realise or listen to you when you tell them not to kick the seat in front of them and bawl like there is no tomorrow. Because invariably it will be me in that seat in front!
5. It takes more strength of character to stand up to your friends than to your enemies.
6. It is always better to be the exploiter than the exploitee (if those are the only two options!).
7. I have also learned that realisaton and learning are two completely different concepts.
Happy New Year everyone!!