Friday, February 01, 2013

I have been wishing for a good book to get me out of the rut. Books have always had a way of making me feel fulfilled and, although I never admitted it publicly, I have been seriously rueing the fact that I haven't been able to read in the last few months.
It wasn't just a matter of not finding the time but more of not being able to get past a few pages! So things came to a head and I needed a book that didn't grab me by the collar and thrust me head-first into courtroom drama but rather a book that, like an old friend, took me by the arm into a coffee shop and we proceeded to make conversation where we left off, years ago. 
Well I'm back and what better way than to 'receive' a thousand e-books and pick one with the perfect ingredients - wit, sarcasm, humour and science! If you read one book this year let it be this one - 'Surely, you're joking Mr. Feynman!". The extraordinary story of an extraordinary man. 
While the narrative might seem matter-of-fact so much that it borders on arrogance, if you have every spent time with physicists you realise that this is their only and most endearing 'social' quality.
Wikipedia describes the book as 'an edited collection of reminiscences by the Nobel Prize-winning physicist, Richard Feynman.' But it is so much more!


No comments: