Friday, February 19, 2010

So blogger has finally switched to English from Flemish (Dutch?) - I realise I confuse it at the best of times with my moving across continents at the drop of a hat (or a job). Thanks for your patience blogger and thanks for keeping up!

I discovered Phillippa Gregory over the summer and what a delightful writer she is. I read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and even though it has taken me five tries to correctly spell 'Boleyn' (and again!) it is well worth a read! Prior to reading this book all I knew about aforementioned Boleyn girl was that her first name was Anne and that Natalie Portman acted in the movie (did she not?). The book is delightfully dark and poignant and transports one back effortlessly to the courts of Henry the Eighth and in fact, introduces one to the first Boleyn girl - Mary.
So this book was a find when I was browsing a second hand bookstore in Royal Oak, Auckland after my dentist's appointment. Incidentally, I had raved about my dentist and turns out she remembered me like my appointment was just yesterday. She also said that she is moving to outback Australia (everyone seems to!) and will miss me because 'cummon everyone loves a challenge' (her words not mine!).
It was a day of good finds - 'Stories to stay awake by - Alfred Hitchcock' and 'Confessions of a Shopoholic' were found and duly consumed. The former spine chilling short stories and the latter a ticklish account of well, a shopoholic complete with letters from the bank and creditors!
The Twilight series was also read and, much to the disappointment of my 'better read' friends who do not consider Twilight even a work, let alone a published work, I didn't mind it. In fact - I daresay - I liked it!
As my sister said, maybe it was just a case of me not having read the work of Anne Rice or other 'vampire writers' and therefore my lack of exposure to better written works on the topic. Or maybe, as I said, if one can so easily accept witches and wizards then why not vampires and werewolves?
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I think Robert whatshisname is pretty good looking - no, it is definitely the witches and wizards argument.
Either ways I think I prefer vampires to werewolves - the air of silent mystery and the cold hard interior is appealing. Although, the movie itself does no justice to the books. Plainly, the books are romantic, the movie is - frustrating and the dialogues sound like someone stood around with a clipboard and asked random people to say things - random things and these became the dialogues.
So current bookshelf material includes 'Eat, Pray, Love' and one Alexander McCall Smith along with 'The Old Curiosity Shop' by Dickens and 'Gods Behaving Badly'. So reviews are due soon.
Incidentally, I was speaking to a friend about Kindle and I'm wondering if it feels the same as curling up with a good book, the smell of the pages and the beauty of the colourful spines covering your bookshelf. Do tell if you own one and what your experience has been.

1 comment:

Vatsa said...

The MOTH got me a kindle for christmas. While I was initially sceptical about it, I have to say, I am actually loving it now. You dont have to use bookmarks (kindle remembers it for you), my entire library is now compressed to one item, I dont have to wait for a trip to the bookstore to read a new book, its got lots of things going for it. I would recommend it, but try it with an open mind, and dont expect it to look, smell and feel like a fresh printed book.